Testing

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Testing

Post by Miia » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:43 am

I would like to test something that is probably an urban legend here in Finland:

Open your Word, and write to a blank document the following:
=rand (200,99) then, press Enter.

I can assure you, that this does not mess up your computer or anything, it gives a rather peculiar result in Finnish Word, and it is said that the phenomenon is global and ALWAYS in Finnish. Since everybody I know has the Finnish version of Windows and Word, and thus, cannot test this, I would like to know what kind of results do you get?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Testing

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:55 am

That is remarkable. When I did this in my copy of Word 2000, I got 168 pages of "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." This works in both Normal and Print Layout view.

Decreasing the value after the comma results in fewer pages containing the same text.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Testing

Post by Phil White » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:13 pm

These embedded, undocumented features, which often do very silly things when you press outrageous key combinations are known as "easter eggs". The Microsoft development departments have outlawed them as far as I know, but a few still get through. There was a magnificent one in Word for Windows V2 where a little Microsoft Word icon walked across the page and beat up a Word Perfect icon when you ran a certain macro.

The DTP software FrameMaker still has a nice, but very annoying one in its spellchecker. Every time the word "interleaf" occurs, it suggests replacing it with "FrameMaker" (Interleaf is - or used to be - the main competitor product).

There's a few Web pages around on "easter eggs". You can find information on the RAND egg (more of an undocumented feature than an easter egg) here.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Testing

Post by kagriffy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:05 pm

I just tried it, and nothing happened. Here at work, I have Word 2003, maybe that's the difference. I'll try it at home tonight (I can't remember which version of Word I have at home) to see if anything happens.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy
Springfield, Illinois (USA)

Testing

Post by Miia » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:34 pm

There went that legend, the results apparently are not in Finnish... Thanks for trying, and Phil, thanks for the info and the link!! Definitely a way to save the day :)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC