King James Version

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

King James Version

Post by minjeff » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:55 pm

I am looking for the list of about 200 or so words that have opposite/completely different meanings in modern English as to those they had at the time when the King James Version was written. (How "bad" in the 70's & 80's really meant "good")

If anyone has this list or has link to this list, please share it will be much appreciated.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Letters go together to make words; words go together to make phrases, and phrases sentences, but only in certain combinations. In others they're just non-sense.

King James Version

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:22 pm

Jeff, If you go to http://www.wayoflife.org/otimothy/tl020003.htm you will find the following, which sounds just like what you are looking for. You may order it, which I just did myself, for a couple of bucks plus shipping by calling 1-800-John109.

“If you come across some words used in our King James Bible that have changed their meaning since 1611, there's a Bible Word List published by the Trinitarian Bible Society of London, England, that lists them all with a brief definition of each [order B.F.T. #1060 from Bible for Today, 900 Park Ave., Collingswood, NJ 08108]. There are only 618 of these words out of 791,328 in the King James Bible.”

Ken G – February 1, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

King James Version

Post by minjeff » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:46 pm

Thanks Ken this is much appreciated. I seek to always instruct wholistically when regarding the bible and the question always comes up as to why we read different translations/ versions at the same time when I instruct. This is part of the answer and it gives me something that can be a tangible resource in my explanation.

Thanks again.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Letters go together to make words; words go together to make phrases, and phrases sentences, but only in certain combinations. In others they're just non-sense.

King James Version

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:35 am

minijeff - I don't know if you've come across the book, "How to choose your Bible Wisely" by Alan S Duthie. It concludes with a "league table" of English versions up to about 1985, using criteria such as accuracy, plurality of translators, naturalness of language. While you could criticise such a work as much as you can Bible versions, it is well written and appears scholarly.
The pros and cons the author attaches to each translation are useful, and the first part of the book introduces the problems with accuracy of manuscripts and difficulty with translations very comprehensively.
Incidentally, Harold R Eberle (see the "Metaphors v Similes" entry), as well as dealing with different schools of hermeneutics in his book "The Living Sword", also gives biblical support for God's endorsement of various versions of the Bible - there is a NT quote from the Septuagint.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC