technology shorthand

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

technology shorthand

Post by Laurie Reinders » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:37 pm

Just an intersting tidbit to get your opinion on.

Recently I've received more 'shorthand' in emails from friends and relatives and thought I'd share a site I found dedicated to translating regular words into modern (mainly used by pre-teens & teens but now some adults seem to be plunging into the mix) shorthand.

This is also called wireless shorthand as it was created to 'fit' speech into the constricted space of cells/bberrys/treos-etc.

http://www.transl8it.com/cgi-win/index.pl?convertPL

Here's an example of what it does:

Hello all!
Look at the future of our children's language. No wonder studies report less than 40% of our nation's (USA) 18 year olds can read at their education level.

What is this teaching them besides how to talk to friends quickly?

(This is 240 letters...now it's be 'translated' down to 199)

LO aL!
L%k @ d futR of our chldrnz lngwij. n 1Dr studEz report less thN 40% of our n8tN's (USA) 18 yr. olds cn rED @ thR education levL.

wot iz DIS teaching dem bsidez how 2 TLK 2 fRnds qixlE?

Where is our language headed from here?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." ~Henry David Thoreau

technology shorthand

Post by Shelley » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:52 pm

Laurie Reinders, you may enjoy a discussion on this topic from last June. If you do a wordwizard search for Chatspeak stole my internet!, you will find lots of opinions. (Sorry, I don't know yet how to make a link to another wordwizard thread.)

[[Shelley, I have put the link-forming code in. Here's how to do it in the future: 1) copy the entire bracketed part as I have typed it in the message box and store it in a file for future reference. 2) When you want to form a link, paste that block of reference code into the spot where you want your link. 3) Search for the posting that you want to put in the link. 4) copy the address that appears at the top of your screen excluding the &topic and everything to its right. 5) paste that address into the space between the quotes in your reference code. 6) put the title of the posting link in the spot occupied by the existing title in your reference code. And that should do the trick. - Ken G]]
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

technology shorthand

Post by Phil White » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:16 pm

Shelley, if you edit your own post, you'll see how Ken did it. I'll make it easier in the next version of the forum.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

technology shorthand

Post by Laurie Reinders » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:48 pm

Shelley et. al. on the Chatspeak topic, thank you.

I've seen this called something other than 'chatspeak' (never heard this one before or I'd have searched for it) but for the life of me can't remember the term.

BTW-When I used the search funtion prior to posting this topic I looked up shorthand & the 'chatspeak' topic didn't come up since no one referred to it as shorthand in their responses.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." ~Henry David Thoreau

technology shorthand

Post by Shelley » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:37 am

Ken and Phil, thank you for instructions above: when I have some time, I'll study carefully and figure out how to do this. Meanwhile, I think I've accomplished item 1: copied the bracketed section and pasted in into a document on my desktop for a quick look-see. Sorry it took me so long to respond.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

technology shorthand

Post by norton112200 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:09 pm

the common term I've heard is "1337-speak" (pronounced leet, as in elite). But that term is usually meant for gamers and geeks. Some examples are:

-u r teh suck (I hate that one and it always bugs me when I here it)

-n00b

-pwnd

-0wnd
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

technology shorthand

Post by Laurie Reinders » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:13 pm

Thanks Norton...That's it!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

technology shorthand

Post by norton112200 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:14 am

I was going to put something that was like an old senile stereotype talking about kids, but I couldn't come up with something that flowed well enough so I didn't.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

technology shorthand

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:06 am

Such SOS!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC