recognizing the spacebar

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

recognizing the spacebar

Post by dalehileman » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:14 am

Admin, if you're listening, I love you and your WW

Just a very small suggestion however: There is a glitch of some kind in the algorithm, preventing it from recognizing the spacebar in an editing session.

For example, there are supposed to be four spaces preceding this paragraph

In a recent followup I used the spacebar (because Tab doesn't work either) to identify my correspondent's comments, but when I submitted it the spacebars disappeared and so his comments looked just like mine. So I used another tack (asterisks), ok but a tedious job

Or perhaps the "glitch" perfectly normal and perfectly ok; I'm sort of a tyro at this stuff, in which case forgive
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

recognizing the spacebar

Post by Phil White » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:58 am

It is an issue related to the rendering of HTML pages. The HTML standards do not permit tabstops, and all whitespace (including carriage returns etc.) is merged to form a single blank space. The editor on this site converts carriage returns to correct HTML codes so that your paragraphs are separated, but does not resolve multiple whitespaces. This is normal behaviour for HTML-based web pages.

If you really want a number of spaces at the beginning of a line, for instance, you can do it by entering the following code:
  (not forgetting the semicolon and ampersand)
for each space you want (there are five in the line above).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

recognizing the spacebar

Post by dalehileman » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:40 pm

Phil thanks--I'll never comprehend all this

Thus in a recent thread the use of five spaces in 8 paras would require 288 keystrokes--no, thanks, I'll use the asterisk

Bill Gates never makes anything easier. He thinks the more difficult and time consuming his algorithms, the more we will appreciate him
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

recognizing the spacebar

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:20 am

Of all the spacebars on all the PCs in the world . . .
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

recognizing the spacebar

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:04 am

The quotation that Dale is actually striving towards is:

"Of all the spacebars and all the ballpoints in all the world, and he has to lock on to mine!"

(Spoken by Humpty Flowchart in Lingua Franca.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

recognizing the spacebar

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:25 pm

Are you sure it wasn't Keyboard Largo?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC