art-induced sickness!

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

art-induced sickness!

Post by tamsarian » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:19 am

I once heard a word used by an art critic on a Channel 4 art history series to describe people's physical reactions to art. I can't remember what it was or if it was made up by the presenter! Does anyone know if there is such a word for any strong reaction (but particularly physical reaction, like dizziness or nausea) to works of art or music?

Any suggestions appreciated!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

art-induced sickness!

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:32 am

.. melophobia is the fear of music .. but it is curious that I was unable to locate a phobia for the fear or art .. maybe that is because art is so hard to define in the first place ands is such an emphemeral concept .. but of course we could just coin our own neologism .. artemophobia .. first step taken so who will pick up the baton ?? ..

WoZ of Aus 10/01/06
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

art-induced sickness!

Post by Laurie Reinders » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:34 pm

I couldn't find any 'phobia' words for art but here are three things interesting from my search:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2045583.stm
An article on a man that claims he became 'depressed' from viewing modern art &

a phobia term without -phobia attached----Penis Panic. Just as you'd think, a man's fear of shrinkage or removal (ouch!)

http://www.phobialist.com/#A

What you're looking for might be on this list. I looked & couldn't find it but I think my dog has - Arachibutyrophobia...heehee.

Fun topic.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." ~Henry David Thoreau

art-induced sickness!

Post by Ken Greenwald » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:35 pm

Tam, The adjective describing the feeling one gets with ‘art-induced nausea’ is LOATHARTGIC, with the noun form being LOATHARTGICNESS. Don’t know a specific general preventative for this condition, but one that works for some folks to prevent nausea caused by watching serious plays is DRAMAMINE and who knows, it might work for other areas of art-induced nausea also.

Ken G – January 26, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

art-induced sickness!

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:59 am

I nominate 'artichoke' as the relevant verb: "The coroner heard that Mr. Phil E. Stein had died after artichoking at a Jackson Pollock retrospective being held at the Hayward Gallery. A verdict of death by misartventure was recorded".

Incidentally, a competitor to 'Dramamine' as an antidote to theatrically-induced hysteria is about to be launched -- 'Dramaquine'.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

art-induced sickness!

Post by Nicolas Le Thierry » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:36 pm

Tamsarian, I believe the term you are looking for is "Stendhal syndrome".

Here's what Wikipedia writes about it (now, think twice before planning a holiday in Tuscany!):

Stendhal syndrome or Stendhal's syndrome is a psychosomatic illness that causes rapid heartbeat, dizziness, confusion and even hallucinations when an individual is exposed to art.
It is named after the famous 19th century French author Stendhal, who described his experience with the phenomenon during his 1817 visit to Florence, Italy in his book Naples and Florence: A Journey from Milan to Reggio.
Although there are many descriptions of people becoming dizzy and fainting while taking in Florentine art, especially at the Uffizi, dating from the early 19th century on, the syndrome was only named in 1979, when it was written up by Italian psychiatrist Graziella Magherini, who observed and described more than 100 similar cases among tourists and visitors in Florence. The syndrome was first diagnosed in 1982.
The term is often used when describing the reactions of audiences to music of the Romantic period.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

art-induced sickness!

Post by Nicolas Le Thierry » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:39 pm

Oh, and Erik's "artichoke" made me sick with laughter.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

art-induced sickness!

Post by Shelley » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:15 pm

Me too, Nicolas Le Thierry!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

art-induced sickness!

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:31 pm

This is excellent. My art therapy is working!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

art-induced sickness!

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:13 pm

Rolfing apparently amused the Queen.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

art-induced sickness!

Post by Shelley » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:25 pm

Erik Kowal, your therapist must be a real loathartio (hat's off to you, Ken Greenwald). Does s/he specialize in shiartsu? Talking to Rolf while contemplating a Jackson Pollack would scarcely be noticed, I expect.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

art-induced sickness!

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:31 pm

Pollack of course painted in fish-oils, using a submersible bicycle. I far prefer the work of JMW Tuna.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

art-induced sickness!

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:08 pm

I am partial to Gustave Dory.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

art-induced sickness!

Post by BILL KENDRICK » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:03 pm

I don't know if is relevant or not, but I'll submit it to you---"PROSAPAGNOSIA--The inability to recognize one's own face in the mirror". I personally experienced physical symptoms one morning, when I gazed into the glass--after an all night drinking party. Memories of my penniless, misspent youth:)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

art-induced sickness!

Post by Shelley » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:20 pm

Uh . . . yes, that would be Jackson POLLOCK. Thank you, gentlemen. To paraphrase Billy Graham: "Just when I think I'm the least little bit of a something, I just smack myself down".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS