Single word to describe Australia's compulsory voting system

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Post by ironknackers » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:40 am

What is the single word that best sums up the Australian compulsory voting system?

My fellow hikers and I got up to ;

Abomination
Oxymoron. (a similar flavor to an oxymoron but different of course)
Shit. (my intellectual contribution) then I was suddenly not hiking and as you see in this pic. Bloody lucky really because the ridge goes off quite steep. (Huangdidian)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Please feel free to correct my spelling and grammar. You can keep the ones you really like for future use.

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:18 pm

I'm all in favour of a system where you can give up to three say candidates a numerically weighted vote of say +1, 0 or -1, you must vote, and candidates scoring less than say 50% net are not elected and forfeit large deposits.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by ironknackers » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:58 pm

Sort of an Ebay voting system.

Still, what is the word, or is there no single word to describe the Australian voting system
with a view to the contradition of democracy, freedom and compulsory voting?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Please feel free to correct my spelling and grammar. You can keep the ones you really like for future use.

Post by dalehileman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:18 pm

I'd like the word too
Ken where are you
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:06 pm

.. I can't find a single word .. I thought it may have a system name after the person who developed the system we use .. but drew a balnk .. from what I can see it is simply called compulsory voting system .. the following is an extract from the Australian Electoral Commision
In their Fact Sheet on Voting, the Australian Electoral Commission provides some arguments in favor and against compulsory voting.

Arguments used in favor of compulsory voting:
Voting is a civic duty comparable to other duties citizens perform (e.g. taxation, compulsory education, or jury duty).
Parliament reflects more accurately the "will of the electorate."
Governments must consider the total electorate in policy formulation and management.
Candidates can concentrate their campaigning energies on issues rather than encouraging voters to attend the poll.
The voter isn’t actually compelled to vote for anyone because voting is by secret ballot.
Arguments used against compulsory voting:
It is undemocratic to force people to vote - an infringement of liberty.
The "ignorant" and those with little interest in politics are forced to the polls.
It may increase the number of "donkey votes" (bad votes that don't get counted).
It may increase the number of informal votes (ballot papers which are not marked according to the rules for voting).
It increases the number of safe, single-member electorates - political parties then concentrate on the more marginal electorates.
Resources must be allocated to determine whether those who failed to vote have "valid and sufficient" reasons.
.. actually it is incorrect to call it compulsory voting as it is really only compulsory turnup .. it is only necessary to get your name marked off as you can then do what you like with the ballot paper .. me? .. I like the system even though it can be a bit of a pain in the butte at times ..

WoZ of Aus 06/12/05
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by ironknackers » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:28 am

Wizard of Oz wrote: .. actually it is incorrect to call it compulsory voting as it is really only compulsory turnup .. it is only necessary to get your name marked off as you can then do what you like with the ballot paper .. me? .. I like the system even though it can be a bit of a pain in the butte at times ..
WoZ of Aus 06/12/05
You're right. Compulsory turn up. Is it really a pain in the Mesa though?

Maybe there is no word. Contradiction is the closest I've come. Good info on the system WOZ.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dalehileman » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:16 pm

Woz: For what it's worth--probably not much--we say "turnout"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:00 pm

It's worth at least 2¢. :-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by dalehileman » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:34 pm

Oh, at least
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC