Greek word for faith?

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Greek word for faith?

Post by jmeglory » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:28 pm

What is the greek word for Faith
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Greek word for faith?

Post by haro » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:58 pm

In Ancient Greek it's 'pístis' or, in a strictly religious sense, 'threskeía.' In modern Greek, it's 'písti,' where the second 'i' stands for an 'ita,' which in Ancient Greek was an 'eta.' Also in modern Greek, 'thriskeía' again is purely religous; the Greek spelling is the same as in Ancient Greek, but, again, the ita shifted to an eta. Shared faith is 'omodoxía.'
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

Greek word for faith?

Post by river » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:53 pm

I'd call it an 'eta' whether in ancient or modern Greek.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: river

Greek word for faith?

Post by haro » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:56 am

Ok Mark, but then you'd have to rewrite the entire debate concerning etacism versus itacism, which has been around since Erasmus. And if calling it 'eta' in Modern Greek implies you'd also transliterate modern Greek words containing an 'eta' using an 'e,' then, for instance, Dimi would have to call herself Deme. Ti na poume, Deme; (The semicolon is not a typo; Greeks use it instead of the question mark.)

By the way, I just noticed that I had mixed up ita with eta in the second mention in my previous posting. Of course they ought to be the other way round. Sorry.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

Greek word for faith?

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:21 am

No problem -- graecum est; non legitur.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC