A Blegburn Dickshonary

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

A Blegburn Dickshonary

Post by podictionary » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:56 pm

A few weeks ago, while producing one of my podictionary episodes I came across in the Oxford English Dictionary a citation in an obscure dialectical dictionary from 100 years ago. It is called "A Blegburn Dickshonary." A kind listener gave me a copy and since the copyright has reverted to the public domain, I have offered it up for others to see at http://0042bfe.netsolhost.com/dickshonary/index.htm
So far a volunteer and I have proof read 4 of 25 pages of the "dickshonary" and I would welcome any other volunteers willing to review the OCRed text against the original in PDF format. As you will see if you look at it, spellcheck is no help here, the exercise is a bit of an eye-crossing effort. If you're game the way to contact me is posted in the "dickshonary."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

A Blegburn Dickshonary

Post by Phil White » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:37 pm

obscure dialectical dictionary
dialectical?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

A Blegburn Dickshonary

Post by podictionary » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:17 pm

Written in dialect, as were the poems of Robbie Burns in Scottish dialect this "dickshonary" is written in Lancashire dialect. An example:
BERRYIN' (funeral). Aw've heeard id said as fact'ry fooak only geds three good sprees in a lifetime an' them's ayther at a kessenin', aweddin',or a berryin' an' th' goodest spree is at a berryin'. Id seems a queer thing as id should be sooa, but then th' world's full o’ nowt else but queer things.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

A Blegburn Dickshonary

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:14 pm

Podictionary, I suspect Phil may be drawing attention to the distinction between 'dialectal' ('pertaining to dialects') and 'dialectical' ('pertaining to logical argumentation'). On the other hand, my Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary states that 'dialectical' can also be used in the same sense as 'dialectal', although the latter form is regarded as being more usual.

Now that we've sorted that out, I feel so much better.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

A Blegburn Dickshonary

Post by Phil White » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:53 pm

Good god! Erik, your suspicions are correct. Never occurred to me to look at a dictionary, though. I was utterly sure of my ground. The Shorter OED only gives dialectical in the meaning "pertaining to logical disputation", so perhaps it depends what side of the pond you are. I'd never use it to mean "pertaining to dialect".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

A Blegburn Dickshonary

Post by podictionary » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:41 pm

I didn't look it up before I spat it out so I'm glad that I have no reason to blush (not that reason anyway).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

A Blegburn Dickshonary

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:07 am

I agree. Dictionaries are much overrated as romance literature.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

A Blegburn Dickshonary

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:15 pm

Too few characters, as opposed to telephone directories which have too many.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC