good phrases and meaings to discuss in class

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Post by jessica » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:19 pm

please could anybody send me good phrase to discuss in class. if for people that are learning english. thanks I`ll apreciated it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dalehileman » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:15 pm

Only if your course is open to slang expressions:
Add a new flava to your tickers and dekkos

Meaning to spruce up your graphics
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:38 pm

Strewth Dale, English is complicated enough anyway, I needed the translation for that one.

In fact it confused me so much that I think I will go for a pint of Guinness on my way home. Thank you Dale, if you hadn't written about tickeras and flekkos I would have gone home straight.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by dalehileman » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:50 pm

Bob thank you. I wanted to provide a link to the expression, but I haven't yet mastered the technique; analogous to a blind, quadriplegic athlete attempting an 8-mile swim upstream in Feces Creek, upside-down, underwater, through the rocky rapids in August, with a leaky snorkel

However, Phil has graciously boiled down the procedure for me (no pun) so I hope to be able to do so after few concerted weeks of study; when I shall accordingly edit it into the followup and all future threads

PS: As a lover of the Brew
I'll Drink to That
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Savvon » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:44 am

Hi Jessica,
Few questions I have for you. First, are you an English learner or teacher of the English language? What is the age range of your class (i.e. college students, business professionals, mixed ages)?

With the assumtion that you are a teacher/student of college age, I have a perfect site for you to go to.

Link: http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~jasa ... l#dipstick

These are a list of today’s common slang words used on American campuses. I found this topic to be very successful teaching college students, especially from Asian countries, for a good percentage of the students wish to attend a college in a western country and these will help the student mingle with the locals on more of a human level (if taught correctly).

Hope that helps a little bit.

Also, if you have the experience and/or the resources, you might want to venture into teaching/learning about college culture as well (which slang/phrases is obviously a huge part). More specifically the do’s and don’ts of college survival.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: It is hard for me to differentiate whether I am experiencing writers block, or I am just simply stupid.

Post by dalehileman » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:01 pm

Jess: You may find my followup below under "phrases!!!" useful and amusing
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:47 pm

Bobinwales wrote: In fact it confused me so much that I think I will go for a pint of Guinness on my way home. Thank you Dale, if you hadn't written about tickeras and flekkos I would have gone home straight.
If you had gone straight home, you would have arrived home straight.
Looks to me like you went home "by the villages" as opposed to "by the fields". My Forgotten English calendar, compiled by Jeffrey Kacirk, reads as follows:
Albert Hyamson's Dictionary of English Phrases (1922) noted another provincial drinking expression, "to come home by the villages," which meant to be drunk. "If, on the other hand, one comes home by the fields, one has no opportunity for drinking."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:56 am

I know what I meant. It's against the law to have only one pint of Guinness!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC