Wild card

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Wild card

Post by Phil White » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:26 pm

But as Russ says, Google supports them quite happily as placeholders for complete words or phrases (but not for parts of words).

Apologies to all. I must have been terminally deranged or using my US kezboard when I checked Google.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Wild card

Post by dalehileman » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:00 pm

Russ: Well I'll be damned. But you'd think Google would have let us in on the * algorithm(feature? function? routine? operation?) under "Advanced Search Tips" Thank you for the tip

Erik thanks for putting me onto the reload timer. However, I consider once a minute far too long; apparently WO refreshes almost instantaneoulsy

I'll admit, however, that I'm virtually alone in my aversion to requirements for excessive scrolling and keyclicking. Apparently many of us enjoy all the mouse gymnastics, for Bill Gates reauires up to 18 keyclicks for some of the most-frequently-needed operations

(It's a well understood psychological phenom that making otherwise simple operations--like unwrapping a bar of soap--as difficult and tedious as possible in order to impart to the user a sense of accomplishment)

Phil: Is "tired as a newt" a German expression
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Wild card

Post by Phil White » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:13 pm

Is "tired as a newt" a German expression
Alas, it seems I have to explain all my whiticisms.
It is an amusing reference to the Britishism "as pissed as a newt" (at least I thought it amusing). I'll let you work the rest out yourself.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Wild card

Post by Phil White » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:17 pm

As far as the refresh rate is concerned, please bear in mind that the site owner has to pay for site traffic. At present, we're well within our limit, but refreshing more often would boost the traffic considerably and ultimately cost hard pennies.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Wild card

Post by dalehileman » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:23 pm

Phil: I had no idea that you had to pay extra for it. Thank you again for your patience, tact, and forebearance
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Wild card

Post by dalehileman » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:05 pm

Phil: You if anyone can be forgiven
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC