The Time Machine - H.G. Wells

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Post by cutelilduckie077 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:34 pm

There is a quote from "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells that I don't quite get "Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless." Please help!
Thanks,
-me
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "Before you run, check to see if the bulldog has teeth."
-Les Brown

Post by haro » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:59 am

Duckie, the two sentences just following your quote may help making things clear: "There is no intelligence where there is no change and no need of change. Only those animals partake of intelligence that have to meet a huge variety of needs and dangers." In this context, 'to appeal' is not used in the sense of 'to please' (for instance in "Such films appeal to the masses") but in the sense of 'to resort to something' Maybe it was this ambiguity of the verb 'to appeal' that confused you.

Needless to say this doesn't make the quote much more comprehensible. Nature has often been able to cope with changes and and new demands without the slightest trace of intelligence. So, apart from the choice of words, H.G. Wells probably was downright wrong.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

Post by cutelilduckie077 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:34 pm

Thanks,I needed that for september...and it was the use of the word appeal that confused me. Thanks again!
-me
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
-Les Brown

Post by russcable » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:55 pm

IMHO, "appeal" here means "to ask for the aid of". The paragraph is saying that animals don't develop intelligence unless there is no other mechanism such as instinct that will allow them to cope with their environment. Seeing as there are very few (if any ^_^) intelligent organisms, this does make sense.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by cutelilduckie077 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:51 pm

Thanks
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
-Les Brown

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC