Other sites

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Other sites

Post by dalehileman » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm

I would be indebted to learn of other sites like WW and PF, esp any forums devoted to slang or neologisms--Thanks guys--and gals
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Other sites

Post by Miia » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:12 am

This is not devoted to slang and neologisms especially, but it is very similar to this board:

http://wordsmith.org/board/
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Other sites

Post by cutelilduckie077 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:17 pm

ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "Before you run, check to see if the bulldog has teeth."
-Les Brown

Other sites

Post by cutelilduckie077 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:20 pm

The home page to that is http://www.wordorigins.org
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "Before you run, check to see if the bulldog has teeth."
-Les Brown

Other sites

Post by dalehileman » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:02 pm

Many kind thanks, guys
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Other sites

Post by Miia » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:43 pm

or gals ;)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Other sites

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:09 pm

Miia, We should never exclude the gals – what would we do without them? However, in modern usage GUY(S) has come to be a unisex term and that all started when American playwright Eugene O’Neill used it to refer to mixed groups of men and women in the 1920s (see guy ). And the transformation was completed in the 1970s when it also came to mean a women or group of women as well as to mixed groups.

And, incidentally, GALS became very politically incorrect with the feminist movement in the 1970s and was very un-PC for quite some time. But that appears to have relaxed now and 'gal' seems to be, I think, O.K. once again.

Ken G – July 16, 2005
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Other sites

Post by Miia » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:30 am

I was only being a smarta** ;)

It's good to know that GAL is becoming correct again. My teacher told me about the un-PC nature of the word during one translation class and I have avoided the word in official texts afterwords. I simply couldn't help myself this time... Thanks for the info on GUY(S)!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC