evil empire

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

evil empire

Post by dalehileman » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:36 pm

When my threads disappear I often suspect the evil empire, which lives by no rhyme nor reason and may strike at any moment

Granted, today's gripe could be the fault of some kind of pernicious glitch, and while I have mentioned it before, it's becoming more persistent. What happens, when I attempt to log in, the operation is unsuccessful because to submit a thread or followup I am asked for username and password and then later I am unable to edit it if needbe. Usually this problem persists only for a few hours; but now it has been in effect since yesterday

If anyone else has had this poroblem I hope he will chime in, assuring me that it's not my PC after all
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

evil empire

Post by Phil White » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:03 pm

Dale,

somebody else (coincidentally also called Dale) had similar problems a few months back. They were discussed here and here.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

evil empire

Post by dalehileman » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:23 pm

Phil; yes it was, but in neither case was the problem resolved; it is still with us (or me). I exit WW, shut down my PC, turn it back on and reboot, then invoke WW once more and lo, the problem is still here as you can see from the absence of an "edit"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

evil empire

Post by Phil White » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:24 pm

If you can't see the "edit" button, you're not logged in. If you're logged in, the top of the screen says "You are logged on as dalehileman", otherwise it shows the "User name" and "Password" boxes.

I've recently been experiencing some odd stuff because I'm using an asynchronous satellite link nowadays. I find that most problems are resolved if I use the browser's refresh button regularly. I can only repeat that you should make sure that your browser accepts cookies and then log in. If the top of the screen doesn't show "You are logged on as dalehileman", then try the browser's refresh button.

I can only reproduce the symptoms you describe on the machine I use to develop this site, and it's impossible that you have exactly the same problem (the IP address of the client and server are the same). But the problem on my development machine is related to cookies, and I suspect that yours is too. I think that nobody else has offered any suggestions simply because nobody else is experiencing the same problem.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

evil empire

Post by Nahani » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:39 pm

Phil

I’m not sure Dale is alone in this – it’s just that I’ve only seen this as a nuisance rather than a real problem... And what happens with me seems to be exactly the opposite of what happens with Dale.

When I bring up the main page, I am logged out (my first clue is that there is a prompt for me to “Log In”). When I open a link to a thread, I always open it in another window. And there, at the top of the second page, it says, “You are logged in as...” and there is also a prompt to “Log out.” Except I can’t. Log out, I mean. I can hit that Logout button as many times as my patience will hold out, and it still tells me, “You are logged in as...” When I close the second window, I am back on the main page and logged out.

I haven’t posted before about this because, like I said, I see it as more of a nuisance than a real problem. However, if everyone else sees it as a problem, perhaps my input here will help get it fixed?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

evil empire

Post by dalehileman » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:57 pm

Phil: If the problem is indeed at your end, this may be of some help: I have discovered by the sheerest chance how to re-enable the "log in" button. If I first hit the "join the club" button, then enter usernaname and password, the former buton then becomes active once more, even if I exit WW and re-enter it. Then all is well again

Thus your suggestion that the glitch has something to do with my browser...

Solving a problem this way reminds me somewhat of the lobster threshing around when dropped into the boiling pot

Except he is unsuccessful
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

evil empire

Post by Phil White » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:20 pm

My head hurts!

I am getting the feeling that all of this (Shelly's symptoms and Dale's), including some other odds and ends I've mentioned elsewhere are related to the browser caching. If your browser's cache has a page cached where you are logged out, it appears to bring that page up, irrespective of whether you actually are logged in or not.

I recently noticed that the most recent post in some threads wasn't showing up on one of my machines. I stopped the browser caching pages on that machine and the problem was solved. I'll get the gurus at Snitz to have a look at these threads and see what they say.

No, Dale, I don't have a problem at my end. On one of my machines I run a copy of the site to test things and do some work on the rest of the site. When I'm working locally on that machine using a single machine for the Web browser and the Web server, I have problems logging in under certain conditions, but they are specific to that configuration. I don't have them when I use the live Wordwizard site, which is hosted elsewhere.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

evil empire

Post by dalehileman » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:58 am

Phil I am struck by your kind and courteous patience. In any case, my problem has resolved itself very nicely as above
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

evil empire

Post by Phil White » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:55 pm

Okay, I'm pretty certain that I've tracked down the problem. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about it.

It seems that I was right about the problem being related to cached pages. There are three places en route from Wordwizard where pages can be cached.

1. On the Wordwizard host (this is not the case).
2. With your ISP provider.
3. On your local machine.

If point 3 applies, the Refresh button on your browser will solve the problem (or setting your cache to 0).
If point 2 applies (as it does in my case), there's nothing we can do about it. The Refresh button sometimes appears to help, but not always. I've solved it for myself by forcing my connection to bypass the ISP's proxy for Wordwizard's pages, but this means that I have a very slow connection to Wordwizard.

If anyone else is suffering from similar problems, try contacting your ISP to find out whether they are caching pages.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

evil empire

Post by dalehileman » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:41 am

Phil thanks again; I stand acquitted
Does it seem to you the more complex it gets, the more the digital world is like the analog; nothing is entirely anything, everything is partly something else, and sometimes it's so hard to figure out what's going on that we just have to live with it and not ask questions
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

evil empire

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:16 am

This is the wrong place not to ask questions.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC