Scouse

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Scouse

Post by Shelley » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:52 pm

Recently, I came across this obscure (well, to me) word twice in one day: first, in a bio I'm reading about the Beatles; and second, on a BBC mystery in which a person was described as "scouse". When a term I've never heard before suddenly crosses my path twice in one day from separate sources -- well, I feel I must pay attention. I gather it has something to do with Liverpool. Anything else?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Scouse

Post by Shelley » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:55 pm

I just did a search. Never mind. Sorry to bother you.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Scouse

Post by dalehileman » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:40 pm

No need to apologize. For what it's worth I never heard the term either and so today I also learned a new one (or two)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Scouse

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:07 am

You might come across a Liverpudlian being called a SCOUSER as well, but it all comes from the stew.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Scouse

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:14 am

For the sake of coherence and clarity, I have consolidated two parallel current threads that were devoted to the same topic, and have deleted the later one -- EK

Alton, Canada

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 : 03:44:46

A friend of mine from Manchester has used that word and when I inquired she told me "scouse" was a slang term for a Liverpudlian
but not one that you would use to one of them if you werent friends and wanted to keep all your teeth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shelley, USA

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 : 04:14:22

Alton, do a WW search on "scouse", and then pick the one that lists several words including "scouser, mancurian(?), . . ." You'll find out everything.

Presumably the word 'Mancunian' was intended -- EK
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Scouse

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:14 am

I think you will find that Liverpudlians are quite proud of being Scousers, were you to use the word you would find that your teeth would be perfectly safe, and in the right setting quite wet with delicious liquid purchased in a glass.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC