Master's Thesis/Questionnaire

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:53 am

Scepticism is not the same as hostility, Dale. I fear you are in danger of confusing the two.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by spiritus » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:27 am

The beginning of wisdom is the ability to call things by their true names.

To do otherwise is an act of covert passive/agressive hostility.

Or:

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by skepticism.

In my case, you may append that to read: never attribute to malice those behaviors that result from an obvious addiction to goofiness.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Che Baraka

Post by Miia » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:10 pm

Wow, I was totally cut off of civilization (three days camping in the woods celebrating the Midsummer, wonderful!), and all ready this many people have raised a discussion on my thesis. I'm pleased to see people are interested :)

Jane DOErell: I went over and looked at the first three or so and saw nothing taboo about any of them in the rural Western US today

Taboo is such a wide and personal term. What is taboo to you, can be totally neutral to someone else and vice versa. For example, the Finnish equivalent of the F*** word is very widely used among teen aged girls in Finland, although many people find it extremely offensive and don't hesitate to comment on it's usage in public. I simply try to find out do the native speakers of the translation see the terms equally strong to the native speakers of the original. If you think there is nothing taboo on them, and that they are not strong, it is an answer in itself. These things are mostly questions of opinion.

russcable: I don't think that Miia literally means "taboo" expressions, but is looking rather for the relative intensity of cursing - not about words that you would never use, but how much effect each expression has and in a particular context, e.g. saying "god damn" in the football locker room vs. saying it to your boss vs. saying it while having dinner with your priest, etc.

That's the point exactly. "Taboo expression" is the umbrella term I use in my thesis to cover cursing, insults, blasphemy, and other expressions that some people might find inappropriate and hesitate to use in every day conversation.

dalehileman: ...where the environment is not so unremittingly hostile

Actually, I think conversation is good, and a little hostility does not scare me away :) Thanks for the link, but unfortunately I don't think I can use it, since the questionnaire is intended for American or Canadian native speakers. I guess a UK based forum has a minority of them?

spiritus: The beginning of wisdom is the ability to call things by their true names.

Well put! I try and sometimes succeed ;)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dalehileman » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:03 pm

Miia: It's hard to tell. One of the drawbacks of Phrase Finder, one of my many objections which finally got me thrown off the site, is there's no way to tell where each followup comes from. However if you place a thread you may bet a surprising number of responses; might be worth trying. If you do so, please give Gary Martin my regards
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by spiritus » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:15 am

Miia,

Your wisdom is evident. If need be, I'd be honored to cuss up a blue storm at your request. (;-}
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Che Baraka

Post by Miia » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:50 pm

Dear all,

I have now gone through the comments you submitted with the questionnaire. They can be read in:

http://cc.joensuu.fi/~mmattila/comments.htm
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Miia » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:20 am

Dear all,

I have finally finished my thesis, and you can go check it out in

http://cc.joensuu.fi/~mmattila/gradu.htm

If you have any questions or comments, you can e-mail me (miiama@hotmail.com), or post them here, I do lurk around quite frequently, although I rarely post anything :)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:17 pm

If that's true, Erik, why do they build sceptic tanks?

Whoops - I didn't realise your last posting wasn't THE last post.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:23 pm

Perhaps not, but rapture may be approaching anyway!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:35 am

A raptured sceptic tank is not good news.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:35 am

No, it would stink to high heaven.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:13 pm

Not a barrel of laughs.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:02 pm

You could call it the odour of sanctity.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC