Master's Thesis/Questionnaire

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Post by Miia » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:27 am

Dear all,

I'm a Finnish student of translation and interpretation, and I'm currently doing my master's thesis, which deals with taboo expressions and their strength. As a part of my thesis, I'm conducting a questionnaire that includes scenes taken from a Finnish historical novel Under the North Star by Väinö Linna (translated by Richard Impola). I would really appreciate, if the readers of this forum could answer to the questionnaire. The only requirement is that the participants are native American or Canadian English speakers. The questionnaire is published here:

http://cc.joensuu.fi/~mmattila/questionnaire.htm

Thank you in advance!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dalehileman » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:36 pm

Good luck to you tho I predict you won't get many responses because what you're asking is a form of work
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by spiritus » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:56 pm

Miia,

Having been moved to mild guilt by Dale's slander: I filled out your questionaire. Exhausted by this labor; I think I'll have a nap now.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Che Baraka

Post by JANE DOErell » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:34 pm

I went over and looked at the first three or so and saw nothing taboo about any of them in the rural Western US today so I was a bit confused as to what you wanted. If you wanted rural Western US today than you need another ranking, perhaps a -1 meaning, "So?".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dalehileman » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:50 pm

Jane: I suspect Miia knows what she's doing. Often revealing the purpose of a survey would destroy its usefulness
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Nahani » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:23 pm

Apes, asses, pigs, and other animals might view this as "racist," but other than that, there's nothing here that a four-year-old would have trouble comprehending.

What's the point? Or did someone already ask that question...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dalehileman » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:29 pm

Nahani: Forgive me, but this what; here where; what question
Do elucidate
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:00 pm

Shelly, although Dale putatively libelled himself in response #2 above, the fact that he doesn't seem to understand your posting appears to validate his original assertion, at least in relation to himself...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by russcable » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:32 pm

I don't think that Miia literally means "taboo" expressions, but is looking rather for the relative intensity of cursing - not about words that you would never use, but how much effect each expression has and in a particular context, e.g. saying "god damn" in the football locker room vs. saying it to your boss vs. saying it while having dinner with your priest, etc.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by spiritus » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:23 am

Dale,

Speaking figuratively, I think Erik and Shelly have just called you a goddamned, lazy, racist, four year-old, dim-witted animal of some sort. In the Tongan culture, this is not considered tabu. I know you're not going to take that sitting down; are you? If so, be informed: among the Finnish peoples and those of the rural Western U.S., that would literally be considered taboo. In contrast, the epitaphs of "instigators" of all ilks, are viewed world-wide as non-taboo.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dalehileman » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:02 am

Spiritus, thanks but is it really worth pursuing

Incidentally how does Shelly figure into this thread
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:38 am

Not that you're trying to stir things up or anything, Che!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by spiritus » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:13 am

Dale,

"Ego sum rex Romanus, et supra grammaticam." ( I am the King of Rome, and above grammar...reason, and questions.Italics are my additions to Sigismund's assertion, said at the 1414 Council of Constance to a prelate who objected to his grammar. )

Were I to say, with a straight face, the above, to anyone here in New York City; my comments would unquestionably be deemed, "very strongly" taboo and my mental state labeled, "quite strongly" delusional.

Beyond that interesting observation, there is no reason for pursuing the matter nor is it necessary to explain how Shelly's post served as the catalyst for the "observation".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by spiritus » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:20 am

Erik_Kowal wrote: Not that you're trying to stir things up or anything, Che!
Of course not. I am fully aware that the WW site has 'mildly strong' taboos regarding such behavior.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dalehileman » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:01 pm

Miia, welcome to the WordWizard Mutual Recrimination Society. You might try posting your thread on http://www.phrases.org.uk/ where the environment is not so unremittingly hostile
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS