double superlatives

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

double superlatives

Post by sandx » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:36 am

Where did the `fashion` for using `more` as well as the word endings `er` and `est`? It certainly doesn`t make the language more richer.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

double superlatives

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:49 am

My belief is that it dates from a speech by Princess Anne about 10 or 12 years ago when with a magnificent slip of the tongue instead of saying what she intended, she actually said, “I am sure you know more better than I”.

All participants in the fashion should be hung up by their ears until they learn to do things more righter.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

double superlatives

Post by russcable » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:40 pm

Rather than a fashion I believe this is just an example of over-generalization which is a natural error process in language where rules are applied over-zealously (or through common sense instead of knowledge). Another example: Today, I get it and he gets it. Yesterday, I got it and he GOTS it. Which is WORSER?

Certainly happens over here where people don't know Princess Anne from anyone more famouser. ;-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

double superlatives

Post by Shelley » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:06 pm

Spike Lee's "Mo' Better Blues" (1990) comes to mind. I also remember a headline which said, "The Most Unkindest Cut of All" (which I think is actually a famous quote, but I don't know the source). I think it's hard to differentiate between what's fashion and what's a mistake these days. Spelling and grammar mistakes in public places are much more acceptable now than they used to be, it seems. A great book on the subject of punctuation is "Eats, Shoots and Leaves", by Lynne Truss(?).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

double superlatives

Post by kagriffy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:01 pm

A panda walks into a bar . . . . (Stop me if you've heard this one!) I absolutely LOVED "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"! The other night, one of the cable channels was advertising the movie of the week: "Two Weeks Notice," and I felt an overwhelming urge to paint a giant apostrophe on my TV screen! *G*
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy
Springfield, Illinois (USA)

double superlatives

Post by Shelley » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:44 pm

kagriffy, I know what you mean. I gave the book out liberally at Christmas, I liked it so much! It's useless, though, to correct public spelling/grammar/punctuation errors -- takes too much time (in New York City there are LOTS of 'em). People just think you're a weirdo, and mumble "whatevah". The last one I pointed out was in the grocery store, where a sign read "authorized personal only". I used to get really twisted about that stuff -- I can relate to wanting to throw a brick through the TV! It especially gets me when I see it in the media -- they're supposed to know "more better"! I think a lot of mistakes are due to an over-reliance on "spellcheck" and like programs to catch errors. Of course, the program is not going to correct a there/their/they're problem or anything like it.

My spelling, grammar and punctuation errors don't count, however.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

double superlatives

Post by haro » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:49 pm

Shelley, I loved "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" too. Bought it in Michigan last summer and literally swallowed it on my way back to Europe.

My Other Half, a writer and feature journalist, sometimes uses another version of double superlatives, for instance "She's my bestest friend" and the like. Seems to be quite common these days too.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

double superlatives

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:21 am

I complained that a local shop was advertising "Baked Potatoe". Fair enough they did change the sign, the now sell "Baked Potato's".

You might like to try a book to go along with "Eats Shoots and Leaves" called "Eats Shites and Leaves". I don't usually get on with books that swear in the title, but this one is quite good. Father Christmas left it in my stocking last year.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

double superlatives

Post by kagriffy » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:15 pm

The misuse of the apostrophe (both putting it where it doesn't belong and leaving it out where it DOES belong) is one of my biggest pet peeves. (Or is that pet peeve's . . . peeves' . . . peeves's?) I especially get completely irate at the misuse of "its" and "it's"!!! For several years (I think they FINALLY changed them), on every major interstate as you enter Illinois, there were signs stating "Buckle up. Its the law in Illinois." You don't know how many times I wanted to spray-paint a graffiti apostrophe on those signs!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy

double superlatives

Post by Shelley » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:03 pm

Bobinwales, you remind me of the time Dan Quayle told that schoolboy he forgot the "e" in potato. The sweet kid (who knew how to spell potato) had to just stand there and acquiesce, for who was he to challenge the vice-president? I'll never forget, though, the look on the boy's face as he searched the room looking for anyone to back him up. Not a word . . .
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

double superlatives

Post by Shelley » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:00 pm

kagriffy, what a great image: the mysterious graffiti artist in the night fixing roadsigns all across Illinois! "Who was that masked man?" Why, it''''''s none other than CORRECTO-MAN!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

double superlatives

Post by sandx » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:11 am

There was a range of memorabilia which bore the legend `Elvis Live`s`. I don`t know if they`ve spotted the mistake yet!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

double superlatives

Post by kagriffy » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:15 pm

Actually, Shelley, the logo on my superhero costume is a giant apostrophe: I'm known as "Possessive Man"! "Look, in the sky, its a bird, its a plane . . . no, wait, IT'S a bird, IT'S a plane . . . IT'S Possessive Man!" *G*
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy

double superlatives

Post by Shelley » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:40 pm

Fabulous! Thanks for the "outright, prolonged laughter" (A Thousand Clowns, by Herb Gardner)!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

double superlatives

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:21 pm

K Allen, are you sure that Possessive Man is really your idea? ;-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC