reservoir dogs

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

reservoir dogs

Post by dalehileman » Wed May 25, 2005 5:42 pm

From http://www.imdb.com :

The title for the film comes from a combination of two other movies. Tarantino, not very good at speaking French, always referred to Au revoir les enfants (1987) simply as "that Reservoir movie". He also is a big Sam Peckinpah fan, and likes his film Straw Dogs (1971). So he combined the two titles to get "Reservoir Dogs"

What sort of meaning are we supposed to infer, if any
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

reservoir dogs

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed May 25, 2005 9:52 pm

Dale, Try “Goodbye Bowsers.”

Ken – May 25, 2005
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

reservoir dogs

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu May 26, 2005 5:35 am

As far as I know it was a toss-up between Tarantino paying homage to Straw Dogs or to his other rave fave, Kermit the Frog from The Muppet Show. But for the flick of a nickel, we would now be referring to Reservoir Frogs.

Infer what you like.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

reservoir dogs

Post by William Barclay » Thu May 26, 2005 7:07 am

Erik

Yesterday it was 'Potter'; today its 'flick'!

Now say after me; "Putter, Flip, Putter, Flip...."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

reservoir dogs

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu May 26, 2005 7:12 am

William, I believe you have me confused with Bobinwales (check the 'Hunky-Dory' thread).

For the record, in Britain we can both flip and flick a coin: "Flip, flick, flip, flick, flip, flick..."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

reservoir dogs

Post by William Barclay » Thu May 26, 2005 9:04 am

mia culpa

"flip, flick, flip, flick...

try saying that 10 times.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

reservoir dogs

Post by dalehileman » Fri May 27, 2005 3:44 pm

Meaning, if any, still unlcear. Goodbye to the dogs?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

reservoir dogs

Post by russcable » Fri May 27, 2005 4:42 pm

IMHO, it really doesn't _mean_ anything, it's just two words QT put together and said "Wow, that would be a really cool title for a movie!"

William, since you're being picky with others, it's "mea culpa" and pronounced "may uh cul pah".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

reservoir dogs

Post by haro » Fri May 27, 2005 9:29 pm

Since William's profile says he lives in Italy, it could be "mia colpa" too.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

reservoir dogs

Post by dalehileman » Fri May 27, 2005 11:20 pm

Russ thank you for that. Isn't "catchphrase" a pretty good term for expressions that gain currency but don't really mean anything
You just drop one wherever it seems to fit

However, I can't help thinking Tarantino might have had some kind of dark, subconscious connotation. So any further comment welcome
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC