I admit it! I need help writing a letter...

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Post by camelopardalis888 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:56 am

I need to write a letter to the President of the United States requesting a photograph and some words of encouragement from his office to a Masonic organization of which I am a member. The 93rd Biennial Session of this organization will convene in July 2006, and the photograph and text will be published in a souvenir journal commemorating the occasion.

I've never really needed help in this regard before. I wrote a great letter to President Bill Clinton 10 years ago, but...

1. The document was saved on an old computer that I no longer have access to.
2. The printed letter was handed over to the leaders of the organization, and they can't put their hands on it.
3. I think in this case (for whatever reason), I am my own worse enemy.

I realize that coming from a new member, this is a great deal to ask, but I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you for your time.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: camelopardalis888

Post by Mel » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:16 am

Is this real? Its a little early for an April Fool item.

Is "giraffe" a clue here?

By the way Giraffes rarely lay down; they even sleep and give birth standing up.

Thought you might want to know that.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Another season another reason....

Post by dalehileman » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:45 pm

Camel, what suggests to Mel you're not serious is your obvious command of the Mother Tongue, it being apparent that you don't need a whole lot of help. Paraphrasing, however:

Dear Mr President
On behalf of the Masonic [organization] Loyal Order of blah blah blah, Westchester Lodge no. 34, I herewith request a photograph and some words of encouragement [from you]. The 93rd Biennial Session [of this organization] will convene in July 2006, and the photograph and text will be published in a souvenir journal commemorating the occasion
[Thank you for your assistance]

the bracketed phrases optional
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Mel » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:23 pm

July 2006 is a long way ahead so you have plenty of time to compose this letter yourself. Strange that your organisation only meets every other year.

If you are serious, flatter the President, promise to send him a copy of the publication, congratulate him on his re-election etc. etc.

I wonder if he would send me a signed photo for my diabetic association? How much would such a thing be worth?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Another season another reason....

Post by camelopardalis888 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:32 pm

Thanks to all for posting your replies!

My inability to "get it together" has really been a mystery. You can't imagine how much I appreciate your help. I'm very flattered that you think I don't need much help.

I probably should have clarified the fact that the organization convenes on a National level every other year. At the state and local levels, we meet several times a month. Our state (California) is hosting the event this time, so preparations must be made and the book formatted for publication in advance.

Mel, I regret that the White House only honors requests from U.S. Citizens, but surely someone will find the information useful.

The White House
Attention: Greetings Office
Washington, DC 20502-0039

fax: 202-395-1232

or White House Web Mail
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: camelopardalis888

Post by dalehileman » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:46 pm

Camel: From all 2 of us--You're most welcome
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC