nhl

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

nhl

Post by king james weyant iii » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:58 pm

To which country does National Hockey League refer? US or Canada?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

nhl

Post by Nimo Piquter » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:55 am

The original teams of the NHL were all Canadian.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

nhl

Post by Nahani » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:12 pm

Actually, the original six teams were Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, Boston, New York (Rangers),and Detroit. It stayed that way until, I think, 1967, when the first expansion began. Most of the players were Canadian, though.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

nhl

Post by russcable » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:54 pm

While the teams Nahani mentions are known as "The Original Six", the teams that existed the first year of the NHL (1917) were all Canadian: the Montreal Canadiens, the Montreal Wanderers, the Ottawa Senators, the Quebec Bulldogs, the Toronto Arenas. "The Original Six" is a nickname for the slate from 1942.
From NHL.com:
"The survivors of a league that had grown at times to as many as 10 franchises, and had seen teams change names and cities with regularity in the 1920's and 30's, would settle in an era of stability, known as the age of the "Original Six." The Red Wings, the Blackhawks, the Rangers, the Canadiens, the Bruins, and the Leafs; these few teams would symbolize hockey for fans across North America. "
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

nhl

Post by Nahani » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:47 am

Right you are, Russ. And the Stanley Cup goes back even farther than that -- 1892, I think. Players were all amateurs in those days, too. No multi-millionaire crybabies whimpering about a salary cap of $45 per player...

Montreal's official team name is "Canadien Habitants", which explains the "CH" on the jersey. My father used to tell me the "CH" stood for "Center Hice."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

nhl

Post by Nahani » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:49 am

...oops -- that should have been $45 MILLION per player -- long day in the classroom...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

nhl

Post by king james weyant iii » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:58 am

Thank you all for your replies. They are much appreciated.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC