pangrams

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

pangrams

Post by Mel » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:06 am

Here is a little light relief for you.

I recently came across this pangram (all 26 letters of the alphabet).

"Glum Schwartzkopf vex'd by NJ IQ"

Besides "The quick brown ....." has anyone got more?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Another season another reason....

pangrams

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:10 am

Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz. (31 letters.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

pangrams

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:20 am

Mel, I have seen several pangrams that use each letter of the alphabet just once. But yours is the best one yet. The others use fairly obscure words and are hard to understand (see example below).

Foxy nymphs grab quick-lived waltz. (29 letters)

How quickly daft jumping zebras vex. (30 letters)

The five boxing wizards jump quickly. (31 letters)

Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs (32 letters)

Quick brown fox, jump over the lazy dogs. (32 letters)

Sympathizing would fix Quaker objectives. (36 letters)

Xavier picked bright yellow jonquils for Mitzi (40 letters) [a jonquil is a narcissus]

Cwm, fjord-bank glyphs quiz vext. (26 letters)

A ‘cwm’ is Welsh for ‘a circular valley’ (‘w’ is a vowel in Welsh). A ‘glyph’ is a carved figure. ‘Vext’ is a poetic spelling of vexed. And ‘quiz’ is an 18th century word for an eccentric. Therefore the sentence means “Carved figures in a valley on the bank of the fjord irritated an eccentric person.” The only thing that can be said for this one over your example is that it contains no proper nouns.

Ken - January 28, 2005
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

pangrams

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:10 am

.. do NJ and IQ really qualify as words ?? .. surely this is just gratuitous use of initials to fill in the missing letters in a sentence that has no real meaning .. there are several legitimate sentences that you quote that have genuine meaning although they do contain more than the bare minimum 26 letters .. and as for the Welsh bit .. what a load of shyte ..

WoZ of Aus 29/01/05
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

pangrams

Post by Mel » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:46 am

After leaving the army, Stormin' Norman was appointed overseer of Universities in the state of New Jersey. he decided to introduce an intelligence test for undergraduates.
The morning after the first results were published this was the headline of the Princeton Times.

"Glum Schwartzkopf vex'd by NJ IQ"

Of the others I like the image of jumping wizards the best, even though we have never met.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

pangrams

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:30 pm

Wiz, I plan on presenting this question to the IHCOA (International High Court of Pangram Adjudication) for a hearing. I foresee several possible scenarios:

1) They decide against, invoking the International Rules of Scrabble, and that’s that.

2) They decide against, but create a new category which includes abbreviations, as they had created the category of repeated letters.

3) They decide in favor with the opinion that there is no question with respect to IQ (it falls in the same category as OK and SOS) and with a split decision on N.J./NJ, opining that if it appears in major dictionaries (as both IQ and NJ do – e.g. American Heritage, Random House, Encarta, Compact Oxford English Dictionary), then it is KOSHER (the court has a Jewish majority and sometimes includes Yiddish expressions in its rulings, which some might consider informal or slang, but which the IHCOA self-adjudicated, in a controversial ruling, was legal in the case of their pangramatic decisions).

So, according to the international rules of pangramatics, if a ruling is under adjudication, the question being adjudicated will always temporarily be ruled in favor of the defendant (in this case those in favor of ruling IQ and NJ as acceptable) until such time as the final judgment is made, at which time if the ruling is in the negative, the decision will be retroactively imposed and the said pangram disqualified. So, until such time as that decision is made, the said Schwartzkopf ‘pangram’ will be deemed acceptable in the eyes of the court.

We anxiously await the IHCOA’s ruling, but don’t hold your breath, because the last case brought before them has been pending for 57 years because they insist that their rulings be stated as a pangrams and thus far they have not been able to come up with one!

Ken – January 29, 2005
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

pangrams

Post by dalehileman » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:49 pm

Mel: Everything is an illusion. The Universe is a hologram in the mind of God
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

pangrams

Post by Mel » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:30 am

Oh no Dale!! I always thought it was the froth on a mans Guinness in a parallel universe. Are you aware of this black liquid with a thick white head? They may even have pangrams and Wizards there.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

pangrams

Post by dalehileman » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:09 pm

Mel: Oh yes I am very much into the brew. Anyone else pse feel free to dalehileman@verizon.com
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

pangrams

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:11 pm

.. and who am I to qyuibble with such an august body of legal jurispudence as the IHCOA .. besides I don't think I would qualify for legal aid to fight a case in that particular court .. I rest my case and cede the ground to the Desert Storm ..

WoZ of Oz 01/02/05
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC