reversing quotes

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

reversing quotes

Post by dalehileman » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:42 pm

Ken, I don't mind if you want to delete this, but if you'd let it stand for just a day or two I'd appreciate it greatly because I'm at wit's end with this problem, and I don't know where to turn

God help Bill Gates when he gets to heaven, if that’s where he’s going. Owing to his absolutely massively hopelessly incompetent software, his quote marks often come out facing the wrong way, eg ”Now is the time for significant changes”, he said

In order to correct this, you have to (1) go to a blank spot (2) type “” (3) delete the one you can’t use (4) drag the one that’s left to where you need it (4) highlight the one that’s facing the wrong direction (5) delete it (6) Insert any space as necessary (7) Check what you just did, as Bill sometimes won’t let you do this if he thinks it was turned right to begin with (8) go back to where you were before you noticed the problem

SURELY THERE’S AN EASIER WAY. And its not as if I didn’t first consult the literature, under “quote”, “quotation,” “punctuation,” “reversal”, “reversing punctuation”, “reversing quotes”, ”turning quotes” [oops, Bill did it again–honest to God, I didn’t fake that one], etc etc etc. If there’s an easy way, Bill doesn’t want us to know what it is

I have a big prize for anybody who can help
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

reversing quotes

Post by Phil White » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:40 am

Dale, use Ctrl+' and then " for an opening quote and Ctrl+` (grave accent) and then " for a closing quote. Not pretty, but it works (at least on a German keyboard). Alternatively, Insert -> Symbol and scroll down to the one you want (they are at Hex 201C and 201D). It tells you the keyboard shortcuts there.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

reversing quotes

Post by dalehileman » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:48 am

Phil: Evidently German keyboards are different, but thanks kindly anyhow
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

reversing quotes

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:58 am

Though you don't have a German keyboard installed, Dale, the Word keyboard shortcuts which can be seen at Insert > Symbol should still work. They are Ctrl+`" for “ and Ctrl+'" for ” (note that you must hold the Ctrl key down without releasing it as you type in each two-punctuation-character sequence). You can also use Tools > Autocorrect to define a character (or string of characters) that will automatically be replaced as you type by the punctuation mark you want.

It's not so much a case of Microsoft's "absolutely massively hopelessly incompetent software" as your unfamiliarity with some of its features...

So what is the big prize?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

reversing quotes

Post by dalehileman » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:26 pm

My undying gratitude
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

reversing quotes

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:12 am

What makes you think that Bill Gates will ever get to Heaven? There is no chance of him getting my vote until he realises that UK English is not the same as American English. True, I have a UK dictionary, but I am still told to “center”, and choose a “color”.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

reversing quotes

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:15 pm

Bob, you may not know it, but we discussed the subject of the language settings of Microsoft Word at length (not to say ad nauseam) in the topic http://www.wordwizard.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?t=7405. In that thread I suggested ways in which the phenomenon you describe could be avoided.

Since then I have discovered another setting in Word which seems relevant. If you select Tools > Options > Edit > Keyboard switching, I believe that Word should be less prone overall to reverting to US English, especially when you paste text into your document. According to the help text, the keyboard switching function has the following effect: "When selected, changes the keyboard language and font to the language of the text where the insertion point is placed; when not selected, changes only the font."

I think there is a particular problem that revolves around the variants of English due to their essential similarity; because Word automatically tries to identify the language being typed in order to ensure that the correct keyboard and/or dictionary are loaded, it often prematurely concludes that you are writing US English.

This is a complicated issue to get to the bottom of because there seem to be a number of factors that all play a role in what happens after you start typing. I am not as hasty as some are in believing that Microsoft has taken it upon itself to Americanise the way the rest of the world writes...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

reversing quotes

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:49 pm

Oops, sorry, I’m new.

I just had a look at the previous thread and I really have no wish to start that lot up again.

Actually, I was not talking about Word dictionaries and spell checkers, but the spellings used in the, excuse me if I have used the wrong term, bios. For instance on the formatting toolbar I am invited to “Align Left,” “Center” and “Align Right”.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

reversing quotes

Post by dalehileman » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:52 pm

Forgive me for my density guys, and with all humility and no offense, but what does language formatting have to do with reversing quotes

Erik thank you again for your pertinent followup. I shall make that set of keystrokes a macro and implant it in my formatting toolbar

Incidentally, my toolbar is full and won't accept any more macros. Can anyone suggest a way to outsmart Bill and add one without wiping out another?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

reversing quotes

Post by Phil White » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:36 pm

Create a new toolbar (View -> Toolbars -> Customize) and drop the macros in there. Nope, I'm not fond of Gates and I think Word is useless for many of the purposes it's put to (and unstable in certain configurations), but it's hugely powerful if people bother to learn it properly.

Bob, better late than never...
"Interface" or "GUI" (pronounced "gooey") were the terms you were looking for. The BIOS is a rather different species of animal.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

reversing quotes

Post by dalehileman » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:38 pm

Phil what a fine fellow you are; succinct, pertinent followups
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

reversing quotes

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:43 pm

My thanks for putting me in the right direction by at least having the right terminology.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC