Closure of the Wordwizard site

If you are visiting us for the first time, please take a few minutes to read through the articles here. If you wish to post a question, make sure you read the "Guide to posting". This exists as a topic in this forum.

Closure of the Wordwizard site

Post by Phil White » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:14 pm

Important notice to all readers and contributors

Dear friends,

It is with great sadness that we have to inform you that the Wordwizard site will be closing down within the next month.

Originally founded by Rufus Miles way back in the early days of the World Wide Web, Wordwizard was for a long time a place for lively discussion of all aspects of language. My own involvement with the site goes back more than 20 years and I have been maintaining and hosting the site for most of that time.

Rufus, who owns the domain, and I have come to the conclusion that the low level of traffic on the site simply does not justify the financial outlay. In my case, my visual impairment also means that it is becoming increasingly difficult for me to do the regular maintenance that a site of this magnitude requires.

The site will continue to operate normally for a few weeks, after which I will make it a read-only site and back up all the databases and content. I may host the content in some read-only form on one of my own domains for reference purposes, but I am not entirely sure how useful or realistic that will be.

The reality is that the days of forums such as Wordwizard have passed. The instant gratification of Google means that people are less willing to engage in discussions lasting several days, and the social aspect of Wordwizard has lost out to the various social media sites.

The list of regular contributors who have come and gone is extensive. Some were with us for many years, some only for a few months or so. Some have passed away and others lost interest or found that they no longer had the time. But their contributions have all been valued.

I shall inform you all in the coming weeks exactly when we will be closing our doors. Please make sure that your email address is still valid if you want to receive any final notifications.

It is possible that some of you may wish to keep in contact with other members, in which case I suggest that you exchange email addresses using the private message facility on the site.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Re: Closure of the Wordwizard site

Post by trolley » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:41 am

Oh, that is sad. I guess the writing has been on the wall for a while, but when the site was inaccessible for the past few days I was hoping that Phil had simply forgotten to pay the light bill. I will certainly miss checking in here...it had become part of my routine. Many thanks to Phil and Erik for all their work over the years and to all the Wizards, past and present for the knowledge and entertainment. It's been a fun ride.
Cheers All,
John
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:18 pm

Thanks John. Yes, it has been fun.

Over the years, there have been some long-term contributors who stick in one's mind, first and foremost Ken Greenwald, who did such sterling etymological work.

Erik has been a member for far longer than I and, since I took over the running of the site, has been tirelessly combatting the spammers in the background and has done a huge amount to keep the site safe.

Names from the past that I personally remember fondly include Leif Thorvaldson, who passed away some years ago and was always a calm voice of reason.

Also James Small (gdwdwrkr), whose off-the-wall humour often left me scratching my head. Unless I am mistaken, he has also passed away.

And then there was Louis Bussey (mongrowl), with whom I personally had many a rewarding discussion, although his ideas and his style were far too radical for most here. Alas, he passed on a few years back as well.

Edwin Ashworth is still around, but hangs out on the StackExchange forums, where he finds more scope to indulge his love of endless discussions of the outrageous niceties of grammar.

WoZ, who contributed so much to the board, often bringing an Australian perspective to our discussions, was a sad loss when he decided to leave, but I believe he is still fit and well.

By the way, John, you need to update your email address if you want to receive notifications. The address you currently have recorded returns an "Undeliverable" message.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Post by tony h » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:09 am

For most of my life I used to bounce language issues with my father. He was a phenomenal linguist and grammarian. When he died I looked for an alternative and found this forum and I have been here for nearly sixteen years.
I am very pleased to have been able to be a part of it. Sometimes I have felt there are people here are friends just chatting in the snug.
Thank you all who have made this possible and I hope you enjoy the future.

Anthony.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:47 am

This is indeed sad news. I shall miss you all.
I joined all those years ago (2005) looking for a term that I could use to describe the lady that I married. I didn't like "partner" and at our age "girlfriend" would have been silly. John Barton came up with "moiety" and Margaret was introduced as that until we married 5 years ago. I have heard it elsewhere and I think it may be quietly spreading.
Strewth, I will miss you all. Thanks to everyone for many a pleasant hour. Thanks especially to Phil and Ken.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Phil White » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:07 am

Good grief! That was the topic that mutated into the "inches of snow" topic and was the first time I wielded the term "synesis" on the site.

Now those were discussions! Exactly as Tony says, sat in the snug, pint in hand, aimlessly meandering through the lush fields of language.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Laurent2022 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:48 pm

No, wait. Don't tell me...I'll be deprived of your loads of jokes I was yoked on ?
Many of them giving me "the giggles", that sort of thing this current world is missing !

Well...that closure is a bad joke, because through the jokes I could understand (98%) I felt like I could capture your famous "humour anglais" and that's not so easy.

That humour being a part of your chromosomes, I hope you will save that sub-forum somewhere else, because it has been my food almost every day !!!!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:39 am

Well said, Laurent. Even though the group of folks who posted was getting smaller and smaller, this site still served a purpose. There were likely many people who just quietly watched through window and took something from the conversations here.
"...because it has been my food almost every day !!!!"...I know exactly what you mean.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:59 am

Oh, I'm going to miss this site & and all of you wonderful people so willing to answer questions!

Wordwizard has always reminded me of Evan Morris's The Word Detective. I read thru all his entries until I got to the end - the end of his health and life. I missed it horribly, then found this site. At least you're all with us - for now. :shock:

I'm so glad I've had the chance to get to know word lovers all around the world.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:42 pm

Phil what sad news. Just a quick run through the names on this post brings a flood of memories. Erik, Edwin, BonnieL, trolley and my Welsh brother BobinWales. I think tony h was in my time but not sure about Laurent2022. So glad to see that we still have a resident ESL student checking his homework. It is sad Phil but I was one of those who did not continue to play their part. Sadness in hearing of the passing of those with whom I had crossed quills gdwdwrkr and mongrowl. Lief was just before my time and I only saw a few of his posts. We had few ladies who felt comfortable in being in what was a Men's Room really. For some reason Sally sits at the front of mind just near the tip of my tongue. :lol: :lol:

I couldn't help having a read and making a few posts. All naturally with cogent points absolutely pivotal in defining the problem and reaching a lucid conclusion.

So it seems goodbye to you all from WoZ. BobinWales is different as he and I have visited each other in Wales and Australia and continue to correspond. The first time we met was when we realised we were brothers. Not just our thinking as some others referred to us as brothers. His Margaret and my Rhonda became good friends too. Phil and Erik deserve special thanks and many accolades from all past and present members. I fell in love with Ken G as he was so bloody right. I searched and searched to find a hole, even a pinhole, in his research but n'er a a spelling mistake did I find.

So hooroo cobbers an' don't forget if ya in Aus please look us up in Newcastle. If only for a beer or ten.

PS: Proud of myself Phil as I remembered not to use my three dots as I was want to do.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Phil White » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:03 pm

It makes it the more poignant to see you here again. We have missed you, but I am glad to see that you are the same old WoZ.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Post by navi » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:07 am

I saw this thread and just refused to read it for quite some time. I started reading it for the first time just now, and couldn't finish.
This is a blow to me and to Azz. This is really sad.

We are very grateful to all those who replied to our questions.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by azz » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:23 pm

I also would like to thank all those who replied to my (sometimes stupid) questions. Every single answer was appreciated. I love this site and I don't want it to go, but then again, life is what it is.

I hope to see you all in other forums. There are a few grammar forums around.

Thank you all so very much.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:01 pm

As the closure date looms, although we know not quite when, I thought I might make a comment on my experience here. I have found the site a wonderful escape, except for the occasional rearing of politics. What the journey has told me is just how we, who clearly love this language, have all experienced this language differently. It is a wonderful world.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Phil White » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:28 pm

As far as timing is concerned, I have heard nothing from the site owner, who originally wanted to shut down in January. I fully expect to close the doors in February sometime.

As far as politics is concerned, language is politics and politics is language. Even the way in which I think about language is a political decision. But that's an argument for another time and place...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus